Our Library has extensive book and DVD lending opportunities. This cozy room also has comfortable seating that is simply that quiet place where people can read or chat.
PSAC members enjoy a wide variety of regularly scheduled games including Pinochle, Bridge, Scrabble, Cribbage, and Scrabble. Anyone can attend and new learners are always welcome.
Exercise can be many things and PSAC has a wide variety to choose from. Regularly scheduled exercise classes that are currently available include:
- S.A.I.L. (Stay Active and Independent for Life) which is evidence based exercise targeting those 60 and above and focuses on preventing falls.
- Tai Chi
- Chair Yoga
- Chair Dance
Additionally to get our heart rate up in a really fun way, both Swing Dancing and Line Dancing are offered.
We continue to add more exercise programs to give our seniors even more choices.
Guest Programs and Classes:
PSAC also partners with Ocean Beach Hospital’s Community Outreach and Specialty Programs!! Examples of the programs they have presented are:
- Chronic Disease Workshop
- Couch Crushers
- Living with Diabetes
- Balance Training: Tipping the Scales in Your Favor
- 10 Warning Signs of Alzheimer’s
Local community partners give presentations that are relevant to senior needs such as Senior Fraud Scams and How to Start an Adult Family Home.
Arts and Crafts:
Cooking classes, Basket Making, Card Making, Art Classes, Paint and Sip are examples of some of the offerings found at PSAC.
Every Friday is Sew Day. It is open to anyone that likes to sew. Members of our local Peninsula Quilt Guild are always in attendance having a good time sewing together and sharing tips and design ideas. The Peninsula Quilt Guild also occasionally sponsors various quilting classes at the Center.
Our members love to go on field trips. Some recent examples are Underground Tours of Astoria and the Tillamook Air Museum and the Tillamook Cheese Factory. An afternoon at the Gearhart Bowl/Fultano’s Pizza is great fun. These field trips always include meeting at a local eatery for good food and fun.
PSAC members and others contribute household goods, sporting goods, tools, clothes, small kitchen appliances and cookware, etc. Our team, lovingly called the Junk Queens, go through these donations to make sure they are in good, clean sellable condition.
- Boutique: Some of the donated items are offered for sale in the Boutique located at the main entrance. This includes nice clothing, jewelry, and other items that are always changing. The Boutique is open Monday-Friday 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
- Garage Sales: The Annex is completely full of these items at bargain prices and nicely categorized to make shopping easy. The Annex is open to the public on Friday and Saturday of three major holiday weekends (Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day). Other one-day garage sales are scheduled throughout the late spring, summer and early fall.
- Auffle: Some of the really awesome donations are put aside for an Auffle. This event sells tickets that are then put into cups adjacent to items. After two weeks of giving people an opportunity to browse and place tickets in the cup of the item they hope to win. The drawing is held at the end of a nice dinner. Lots of fun for everyone!!
Annual Holiday Gift Bazaar:
This annual event in late October is an opportunity for people to sell all kinds of crafts and homemade goods. The actual dates will be posted on these web pages around July. Those interested should call 360-665-3999 in July to reserve a table.
Annual Indoor Flea Market:
Every year local vendors are invited to rent a table at the Indoor Flea Market. This event is always very popular.
Supporting our local community:
PSAC holds several annual events that support our local community. In November and December the Reverse Calendar Food Drive brings in an amazing amount of food for our local Food Bank. An annual event also provides both Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners for a local low income apartment complex. This also includes Christmas gift boxes for each resident that has personal hygiene items, treats, useful small clothing items such as hats, gloves and scarves, rolls of quarters for the laundry machines and other goodies.
Additionally, some of our generous donors sponsor meals for those that we know are in need.